Monday, June 27, 2011

new horizons and getting involved

Some downfalls to moving around all the time is that your friends don't know where you are.  It is also difficult to become "rooted" and connected professionally.  The main professional organization for choral directors is ACDA, the American Choral Directors Associaiton.  ACDA had been a vital part of my development as a choral director and it is a national organization which operates mostly through voluteer leadership.  There is a national office in Oklahoma City with a small staff, but all the national officers and R & S (Repertoire and Standards) chairs are volunteers.  Each state has its own ACDA chapter, and there are seven divisions which have their own leadership.  My goal is to get involved with Maryland/DC and Eastern Division ACDA.

I can't believe I'm moving to the East Coast in just over two weeks.  I am excited to start my new job and to explore D.C., but I can't believe I'll be leaving the west behind.  I've become very accustomed to life (far) west of the Mississippi.  I'm not sure how I'll adjust to humid, traffic-ridden D.C. life.  I do love the city.  Hopefully it will be a smooth transition.  I plan to ride a lot of public transit.

I need to get a website.  Putting that on the "to do" list for fall.

I am currently in process of choosing the repretoire I'll teach next year.  An exciting but daunting process, especially when you don't yet know the students you'll be teaching.  The learning curve this year will be steep.

I am trying to be more active in these last two weeks. I have been rather lazy this summer and want to get off the couch and in good shape before driving 2,300 miles (!!) to my new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment