Tuesday, June 19, 2012

No more excuses

Well it has once again been far too long since I updated this blog.  A lot has happened since I last posted.  A Cliff's Notes version follows:

-I completed my first year of teaching at Norwood School.  I learned a lot about myself as a teacher and about private school education.
-I moved into DC!  No more suburbia.  I live in Shaw-- near Howard University.  I love living in the city. I can't believe it took me so long to move into a truly urban environment.
-My parents visited for just shy of a week from Michigan.  It was great to have them here.
-I have finalized plans for my Kenya trip.  I leave a week from Thursday!  I will spend the first 2.5 weeks chaperoning fourteen high school students, then will be on my own the last week.  I can't believe this is actually happening.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to go to Kenya and to teach music. This is such a dream come true in so many ways.

I want to blog more.  I want to live my creativity more and more.  I get so bogged down during the school year in to-do lists, e-mail, errands.... and I let that get in the way of my creative output.  I want to sing.  I want to write and arrange music.  I want to conduct.  I want to start a non-profit.  I want to live my creativity more every day.  And I will.  No more excuses.  Just truth.

I will be blogging in Kenya and posting pictures here and on Facebook.  You can follow the official blog for the beginning of my trip (with the Children of Kibera foundation) at http://kenyaservicelearningadventure.wordpress.com/.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment