Friday, July 30, 2010

to set the record straight...

YES, I'm finish grad. school before I go into the Peace Corps... people keep asking.

Coming to NAU has been a great opportunity.  It's a uniquely designed master's program which provides lots of hands-on conducting experience.  I am really excited to be conducting the NAU Men's Chorale this year, a combination of freshman vocal/music ed. majors, upper-class music majors, and non-majors.

I've been thinking a lot about the career of a choral conductor.  At some level, a lot of being a success is marketing and selling yourself.  It's all about what (and who) is in your bio, who you've worked with, which ensembles you've sung with... it gets overwhelmingly superficial sometimes.  I think sometimes it becomes more about these superficial elements than about the music.

No word on my nomination yet... I'm patiently(?) waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment